Monday, October 5, 2009

Children's Story - The Request of James and John



For the next few months our emphasis on the Scriptures will be to not only hear the Word, but to also see the Word and bring it to life by presenting it to and through children.  To that end we have decided to present the Holy Scriptures visually.  Sunday's Scripture came from the Gospel of Mark and is entitled "The Request of James and John."

Preparation:

  1. Get a small, plastic wading pool - not much more than ankle-deep
  2. Prepare a small glass of juice - preferably red
  3. Fill a pitcher full of water
  4. Invite 2 children to participate - you should make sure to have 10-20 minutes to rehearse before worship
Characters:

Jesus – played by me
James – played by an older boy
John – played by a younger boy

Here's the transcript of Sunday's worship service.

(As worship music ends I throw the EMPTY wading pool onto the centre of the stage)

I would like to invite all of the children to come forward to see and hear today's Scripture reading.  (at this point 30 children gather around the Table of God that has been prepared for Worldwide Communion...)

A reading from the Gospel of Mark, chapter 10, verses 35 to 40.  (At this point I stand in the centre of the pool and my helpers - who just happen to be James and John - begin their stroll up to either side of me)

Jesus: What do you want me to do for you?

James: Let one of us sit at your right and the other at your left in your glory.

Jesus: You don't know what you are asking.  (Jesus raises the cup) Can you drink (Jesus raises the pitcher) or be baptized with the baptism I am baptized with?

James and John: We can

Jesus: You will drink the cup I drink (takes a sip from the cup) and be baptized with the baptism I am baptized with (James and John dump the pitcher on Jesus - of course the congregation laughs...), but to sit at my right or left is not for me to grant.  These places belong to those for whom they have been prepared.

Narrator: The Word of the Lord
Congregation: Thanks be to God
Narrator: Amen!



No comments: